For any busy person who wants to learn how to play piano songs, finding an appropriate online piano course is a great idea. Learning piano online offers value and flexibility that just aren’t available with a private piano teacher. But once you have chosen to learn how to play piano songs online, you need to decide how to choose the right online piano course for you.
Doing the research is not hard. After all, these courses are all available online. Of course, you need to have a certain skepticism while you read the sales material. But you can do it all from your computer. Here are some tips for doing research for an online computer course:
- Does the website look professional? Be sure it does. The site should inspire confidence and respect. The best sites have a complete description of their product, testimonials from real-live people who have actually used the product, and a way to contact them with any questions you have before you make a purchase.
- What is the target audience of the program? Some online piano courses are geared toward beginners and some toward more advanced students. Some courses highlight pop music and others stress classical. Some classes are great for kids; some just aren’t geared for kids. Some courses anticipate that their students want to be professionals; others expect that their students only want to play for their own enjoyment. Make sure that your own personal needs and interests are met by the course you are considering. If not, move on.
- What learning styles are stressed? Some people learn best by memorization, some by a thorough explanation of reasons behind a lesson and others by a playful approach to learning. Some people like to play scales and exercises; other people want to learn how to play piano songs. In my opinion, a comprehensive piano course should be suitable all sorts of learning styles. Reading music should be taught both by charts and by an interactive game. You should get a thorough explanation of certain fingering techniques as well as lots of ways to practice the techniques. There should be sound files available for you to hear what a passage is supposed to sound like, as well as the sheet music for it.
- Is the price right? Shop around for price. But, as whenever you are considering price, make sure that you are getting the type of course you need from a professional, well-organized company or you will be paying too much, no matter what the price.
- Get a free sample. The best online piano courses are proud of their product and want you to see it before you buy. So most of them offer a free lesson or even a short introductory course. Take advantage of it. You will learn a little both about piano and about the course you wish to buy.
You have a lot of choices when it comes to purchasing an online piano course. If you choose wisely, you will have hours of enjoyment learning how to play piano songs.