5 Good Habits to bring to the keyboard. You may be taking up piano for beginners simply for your own pleasure. It may be a strictly recreational pursuit. But for playing the piano to be truly rewarding, you will need to apply yourself so that you gain mastery and artistry. So, although I hope you will always have fun learning and playing piano, I certainly advise you not to treat your piano playing casually. On the contrary, you should apply yourself to learning how to play piano songs the same way you would to any learning experience: with a great attitude, determination, discipline, perseverance and passion. Applying those five habits to your piano playing will enhance your joy of music.
- Attitude. Know that you can do it. You can learn to play the piano. Beyond that, you can learn to sight read, play by ear and accompany other musicians if those things interest you. There are lots of piano players out there who aren’t as smart as you are. If they can do it, you can, too. And there are a lot of things that you have accomplished in your life that are harder than learning piano for beginners. If you did those things, you can learn how to play piano songs, too.
- Determination. You have decided to learn piano for beginners. So learn. Keep playing even if you don’t want to. Keep playing even if, at the moment, it’s not fun. Just keep doing it. And then do it again. You will succeed in learning what you are trying so hard to master. And then you will be able to go on to be determined about the next harder thing.
- Discipline. Discipline is a cycle. When you apply yourself to learning how to play piano songs, you increase your capacity for discipline. Your increased capacity for discipline allows you to apply yourself to a greater degree. Applying yourself to a greater degree increases your discipline even further. And so it goes. So get on the treadmill. Apply yourself, increase your discipline and succeed.
- Perseverance. If you encounter a difficulty, try another way. If something doesn’t work, do something else. But never lose sight of your goal of mastering piano for beginners. Keep practicing. And keep loving it.
- Passion. A great attitude, determination, discipline and perseverance will all fire up your passion. When you are doing something you love, well, you love it. But when you excel at something you love, you become truly passionate about it. And your passion for learning how to play piano songs will, in turn, fuel your attitude, determination, discipline and perseverance.
So use your best habits when it comes to learning piano for beginners. And you won’t be a beginner for long.